Saturday, April 21, 2012

Juego Sucio book review

I haven't posted a book review in a really long time so I guess I'll post one now. It's a book I just finished reading for one of my classes.

For my Spanish class called Literature and Pop Culture in Franco's Spain I read a book called Juego Sucio by Manuel de Pedrolo. Most of the books I've read for this class have been ok at most but I really enjoyed this book! It's a crime and romance novel about a man named Xavier who falls madly in love with a young woman. However, there is one problem. Her uncle has to manage the money her aunt left her when she died and she won't inherit until he dies. So she asks him to murder him so she can get her money. That's basically the plot and it's really interesting how the story develops.

How it's connected to Franco's Spain, I'm not so sure. I think it takes place late in his dictatorship and the uncle is a former soldier or some other position in the military. Oh, Xavier lost his father in the Civil War and he and his mother are penniless and left to fend for themselves since the father was in the republican side or the war (the side that lost). I think that's about it.

Overall:
Rating: 5/5
Would I recommend it?: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment