At the beginning of summer, I was anxious, excited and nervous about my first real major-related job. I couldn't wait to get there and start working. I knew it was going to be tough and physically demanding because after all, it's outdoors, field work. Needless to say, my job at BRF exceeded my expectations and made me glad I chose Environmental Biology as a major. Like any job there were ups and downs but in the end, it was all worth it. All the tick drags, and vegetation surveys and risking getting Lyme disease...well, I'm just glad I didn't get it. Working with turtles was priceless! I love them and would work with them anytime. They're so cute and adorable!...Except when they pee on you. I could totally see myself working with in the future if I don't end up going to med school. As for the people there, it was good too. However, there were times when the living situation was a bit tense because the supervisor girl was a bit too controlling and the other girls noticed it too but they aren't as patient and calm as me so they did get mad and complained about it. I must admit, I did my fair share of complaining too but I never got mad and just accepted the fact that that's just how she was and dealt with it. I also made really good friends over the summer. Living and working with people 24/7 definitely makes you become close and it the end friendships form. I became friends with a recent Columbia graduate who is just 20 years old, a girl from Switzerland who came to the US to practice her English, my supervisor and even though she is really controlling, she is a really nice girl and super funny and believe it or not, I became closer to an old friend, even though there were times I swear I could've killed her....
Me with a cutesy tiny turtle:
Viktoriya's birthday:
Sounds like someone had a fabulous summer! I love the pictures, and I'm glad that you learned a lot. It truly is nice to work in a different city during the summer. We'll be sure to have an equally awesome fall semester! I am looking forward to seeing you again...it is sooner than we think! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, it was amazing!! I'm also looking forward to the fall semester and I'll be blogging about it of course! :)
ReplyDelete