Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Hunger Games

I really haven't had much time to blog lately since I've been so busy with schoolwork but I decided that today instead of studying for my European History midterm that's tomorrow and writing my thesis first draft, which is also due tomorrow (yay for procrastination!), I would write a post. So for my three humanities classes, I've pretty much had to read about 1 book per class per week, which is INSANE because I'd never had to read that much for any of my classes since most of them have been science lectures or labs. I honestly don't know how humanities people do it but I'm pretty sure they don't do all of their readings and just BS their way through class but I can't do that, I guess I'm just to a good BSer.

Oh, yeah I just remembered where I was going with this...So in another of my bouts of procrastination, I decided to read The Hunger Games because I'd heard about out since the movie is coming out in March and I was curious so I Wikipediaed the plot and decided I wanted to read it. It's actually a pretty quick read. I read it in 3 days but I only read for a couple of hours each day, so you could probably finish it in one day if you had the time to read for most of the day.



This book is about a 16-year-old girl named Katniss Everdeen, who lives in District 12 in the country on Panem, in the post-apocalyptic region of what used to be the U.S. Anyway, in order to keep the citizens from rebelling again, the Capitol, aka the government, holds the Hunger Games every to show their absolute power over the citizens of Panem. In the Hunger Games, one boy and one girl aged between 12-18 from each of the 12 Districts are selected to participate in this tournament, in which they all fight to death until there is only one survivor. In this story, Katniss' 12-year-old sister is chosen to participate in the Hunger Games but Katniss volunteers in her place. Also selected from District 12 is Peeta Mellark, a baker's son who knows Katniss from school. During their training Peeta publicly professes his love for Katniss and she thinks it's a ploy to get them sponsors but doesn't turn out to be that way... or does it? Well, I would continue writing this but it's just waaay to complicated so you can google it if you want to know what it's about. Anyway, on to the review.

So, I think it's really well written but then again, I think anyone is a better writer than I am, except for Stephenie Meyer but before I go off on a tangent about her and Twilight, I'll continue to my review. Basically, it's a great book. I really liked the way the characters were developed and grew so fond of some of them and I was so sad when one in particular died (I won't say who because I don't want to spoil it for anyone). It's definitely one of those books you won't want to put it down when you start reading it and now I even want to read the other two books in the trilogy. Although it was written for young adults, I think it's a great read for anyone. However, I must warn that the book is very violent and although I'm ok with that, some people aren't. Like I said, it's about 24 teenagers who have to fight til death and only one of them remains so yeah...there's a lot of violence. Right now, the only thing I can think of that I didn't like was Katniss' name. Like really, it sounds like Catnip, which is funny because that's what one of the characters thinks it is when she first tells him her name. Also, it's suuuuper predictable in terms of knowing who doesn't die in the end since there are two other books in the series but overall, it's a great read!

Edit:
Rating: 5/5
Would I recommend it?: Hell yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment