Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer 2012 thus far...

Summer has been ok, I guess. I haven't done much. So much for filling and sending out job applications. However, I have rested a lot and done things I didn't have time to do while I was in school, so in a way, I guess I've been productive. I know in the previous years I've set goals for myself for during the summer but I decided I wouldn't do that this year because they never get done, so I figured it'd be better if I didn't have any expectations and just take everything as it came along.

So here are the things I've done:

1. Read. I've read four books so far. Three Agatha Christie books and another book called "If You Follow Me" by Marlena Watrous a Barnard alum. I actually found that book in one of the donating bins they put out at the end of the year and there were a ton of copies so I'm guessing it was the book the first years were supposed to read over the summer or it was one of their first-year seminar/ englsih books. Anyway, it was about a recent graduate who goes to Japan to teach English and has to adjust to the rules and way of life in Japan and while she does that she goes down a road of self-discovery and whatnot. It's a really good book.

2. Sew. So I finally got the guts to make a dress and I was super excited about it until I actually started sewing it. It was a freaking pain in the butt. First, I realized that the bust part was going to be too small so I added a bit of extra fabric and then it turned out too big. Also, I lost count of how many times I had to rip the seams because I'd done something wrong, I was about to burn the freaking dress. Even though it came out huge and I'll never wear it, it was a learning experience and my next dress will be better. I do have a pattern for my next dress picked out, I just need some print jersey, which I can't find anywhere so I think I'm going to end up ordering online. Also I learned how to shirr fabric, which is pretty useful because one can make simple dresses with shirred fabric.

3. Excersise. I hate excersizing if it's not in a gym with air conditioning. Back home I do not have a gym membership so I have to make do with what I have. Running shoes, a tv and the internet. I've been running outside at night because that's the only time when it's cool enough to be outside, every other time of the day, it's over 100 degrees F. I've also been doing Zumba with some DVDs I have. Lastly, I've been doing some tahitian and hula dance videos I found on the internet and they are great! Not only are they a great workout but they help tone the abs, thighs and buns, which are mostly my problem areas.

4. Pinning. Lately, I've been obsessed with Pinterest. It's an awesome website that lets you make boards with things you want or like. You should check it out, it's awesome!

I think that's all for now. I've also been wanting to do other things but i haven't been able to do them for whatever reason but I hope I have time to do them.
*scrapbooking- I haven't printed out any pictures, I have all the other supplies
*baking- my mom is really ocd about us making a mess in the kitchen so I tend to steer away from there
*learning another language/ practicing French- I started learning Italian but I got bored because it was online, so I stopped. I need to be in an actual classroom to learn, I guess.
*get a puppy- specifically, a yorkie. I even have the potential names picked out. Olivia if it's a girl and Sasquatch (Sas, short version) or Jorge (pronounced Jor-hay) if it's a boy. Of course I can't get it yet because my mom would flip out with another dog since we already have 6 (none are mine, though) and a yorkie is an indoor dog and there is NO WAY IN HELL she would let me keep it inside, so I'm going to have to wait til I move into my own apartment.

I think that's all for now. I'll try thinking of more stuff to blog about.

No comments:

Post a Comment